Wednesday, October 9, 2013

~Autumn Picnic~


~The air is crisp, the leaves are changing, perfect weather for an Autumn picnic in the woods..~


When I was a young girl my mother would pack a picnic basket and along with a table top charcoal grill, would make brunch for my brother and I in the park by our home..Pancakes, sausage and home made bisquits warmed on the grill which we would smother with butter and jam were saveured and devoured. Sweet childhood memories I cherish..I have kept the picnic tradition going with my own girls. I so enjoy sitting on a blanket, talking, laughing, enjoying delicious food, and taking in natures beauty..
So when my fiancé and I planned an afternoon escape, I created a vintage inspired picnic basket for two for the occasion..The basket is a flea market find..I lined it with burlap and vintage lace..Vintage sheet music was used as whimsical placemats..The titles were so enchanting.."Lovely to Look At", "The One I Love" & "Autumn Leaves".A ball jar held dried Hydrangeas..Etched crystal goblets were a lovely way to sip the sparkling French Berry Lemonade from..The lemonade was displayed in an altered bottle I created ..The menu..Sweet apple and caramelized walnut chicken salad in croissants with a sweet vinaigrette , homemade garlic/onion potatoe chips & meringue cookies..I love something savory finished off with something sweet..It was a  simple but elegant meal..The captures and details below highlight our outing..

The altered bottle to hold the French berry lemonade was a quick and easy creation..I wrapped a piece of corrugated cardboard around the bottle..I like to repurpose & recycle, and this was a perfect base to add a rustic look.I then began layering sheet music, vintage lace, and a dried rose..

 
Using vintage finds to transport food is unique and makes the basket that more special..It is an expected way to use flea market treasures, and so much prettier than a plastic container..This pink crock is a favorite piece, and was perfect to display the meringue cookies in..
A lovely book of poetry is embellished with vintage lace and a dried Ranunculus..
Layering quilts, pillows and pretty fabrics made for a comfortable & romantic setting..Enjoying delicious home made faire, spending time with the one I love amongst the changing trees,the birds, and the fresh air was a lovely way to spend an early autumn afternoon..
Be inspired to create a day like this for yourself and someone you love..Have a beautiful & romantic week..xo..Karen~

No comments:

Post a Comment